Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Just Happy to be Here

The above drawing is included in the new 2009-2010 catalog for the Art Students League of NY. Those familiar with the catalog format know that the bulk of the book consists of a page devoted to each instructor. One each page is a fairly large reproduction of a piece of art by the instructor and a smaller image of a piece done by one of the instructor's students. My drawing appears on the page devoted to James Lancel McElhinney with whom I've been studying for the last two years or so. I am also his 'monitor,' a sort of teaching assistant who takes care of chores like timing the models, collecting class tickets, etc.

Overhearing two students talking about my drawing in the catalog, a third student asked me, "Is that a picture of you?" Well, no, actually it's not: I am neither bald nor thin. And at this point in my life, not likely to pose nude for a group of thirty or so artists. But thanks for the compliment. I guess.

No comments: