Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Saturday afternoon


No matter what else has gone on during the rest of the week, I know that on Saturday afternoon I can drop into a zen-like state as I try to render the human form as observed in the model's poses at the Art Students League. The League has been in operation since the 1870s and has occupied its current building since 1898. The studio where we draw is on the second floor across from the gallery. I was told that our second floor studio was used at one time by William Merritt Chase, among others. But the roster of students who've studied there is as impressive as the faculty.

James Lancel McElhinney teaches anatomy and drawing the human figure there and I've been working as his monitor for a couple of years now. For more info on the class and what it has to offer follow this link to our Facebook page.

No comments: